Pages

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Here's to a Delicious New Year!


Each year we make them, and each year by about February we seem to develop selective amnesia. Resolutions? What resolutions? But I have a feeling that this year will be different.

Forget willpower. We just need to make our goals more delicious! So, in the spirit of the new year, we thought we'd kick off 2010 by sharing some of our personal local food resolutions. Throughout the year, we'll keep you updated on our progress by blogging about our efforts.

Here's a taste of what's to come:

I will cook a rabbit. I've seen them at the farmers market, and I've always wanted to give it a go. Also, I'll learn to brew my own beer at home. - Jen

This year I'm going to buy more of my food locally, without increasing my family's grocery budget. I'll be keeping track of our spending & comparing it to our usual grocery bill. I'll let you know how it goes! - Cheryl

I've found it easy to eat locally by freezing the harvest, but lately I've been wondering how I can avoid using so many plastic bags. So my goal is to explore more ways to preserve local foods, including canning and fermentation. - Susan

Are you planning to join a CSA, plant a garden, buy pasture-raised meat, spend $10/month on local food, or go all out & eat a 100-mile diet? We'd love to hear about your own local food resolutions - leave us a comment below!

2 comments:

  1. Resolutions are a conundrum. As Mary Poppins once said, "That is a pie-crust promise; easily made, easily broken." I did keep a few from last year. I planted a veggie garden this past summer, supported my local farmer's markets, spent $10/month extra on local food (and really much more), went all out & ate within a 100-mile diet (except for the Meyer Lemons), and don't eat meat. Resolutions? I am working on those as I am on a food journey. I rely on Master Gardener friends and your site to assist me in figuring this all out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your local food resolutions, Tyro. Sounds like you achieved a lot. A 100-mile diet can be a huge lifestyle adjustment - and who can blame you for the Meyer lemons...yum!

    ReplyDelete